- Reymart Gaballo vs Emmanuel Rodriguez goes Saturday, December 19th, 2020 at 9 PM EST
- Who leaves the ring as interim WBC world champion?
- Check out the fight odds, analysis, and predictions below
Reymart Gaballo and Emmanuel Rodriguez will exchange fisticuffs inside Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut. Gaballo vs Rodriguez broadcasts on Showtime.
The interim WBC bantamweight world championship will be contested in this one and the title belt is vacant. Only one can close out the year in style, and jettison themselves towards an undisputed world title shot for 2021.
Reymart Gaballo vs Emmanuel Rodriguez Odds
|Chris Van Heerden||+900|
|Gary Antonio Russell||-440|
|Juan Carlos Payano||+340|
Odds as of Dec. 16
Though this is a late replacement opportunity for Reymart Gaballo due to some COVID cancellations, Rodriguez had already been studying Gaballo; realizing that he would invariably be a future opponent for him.
Emmanuel Rodriguez’s Path Back to the Title
Rodriguez is the former reigning and defending IBF bantamweight world champion. He is entering this bout in the hopes of rebounding from losing that IBF strap via second-round knockout to Naoya Inoue in May 2019.
Sources: Emmanuel Rodríguez will fight Reymart Gaballo in the Showtime main event on Dec. 18. This is the third different main event for this card. Originally Nonito Donaire vs. Nordine Oubaali, then Donaire-Rodriguez. Jaron Ennis vs. Chris Van Heerden in the co-feature
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) December 11, 2020
The victor of this bout positions themselves for a future matchup with WBC bantamweight world champion Nordine Oubaali who was previously booked to be featured on this card.
Reymart Gaballo’s Underdog Story
This short notice opportunity for Reymart Gaballo represents arguably the biggest fight of his career, and the unbeaten 24-year-old seems poised to capitalize on the moment.
Gaballo is no stranger to holding interim hardware as he is a former WBA interim titleholder. Still, he is largely untested above that club circuit level. This will be a big jump up for him as he faces the #4 ranked contender in his division per The Ring.
These 118 pounders will both be stepping out for their first fights of the calendar year, and the two match up fairly nicely on paper.
Rodriguez has a 63 percent knockout rate compared to Gaballo’s overall stoppage percentile of 87. But, Emmanuel Rodriguez has a more detailed resume at this point.
Reymart Gaballo has halted 15 of his last 16 adversaries. He has a relatively recent history of sparring with Naoya Inoue, who may have been able to give him some insights into how to best Rodriguez in the sweet science.
Gaballo vs Rodriguez Tale of the Tape
|Stephon Young, Chaiwat Buatkrathok, Yeison Vargas||Significant Wins||Paul Butler, Jason Moloney, Eliezer Aquino|
I think Gaballo presents great value as an underdog here. I think this is the perfect timing for this kind of matchup.
Ultimately, I think Reymart Gaballo secures a statement win and inserts himself into that title picture for 2021 and beyond.
Pick: Reymart Gaballo (+135)
Main Card Picks for Gaballo vs Rodriguez
- Jaron Ennis vs Chris Van Heerden: Ennis is unbeaten heading into this bout, but Van Heerden is a savvy vet who many see as Ennis’ stiffest test as of yet. The vacant IBO world welterweight title is up for grabs, and I see Ennis emerging as the new champion. I would seek out a prop bet for Ennis to secure the stoppage victory inside of six rounds. Pick: Jaron Ennis (-1700)
- Brandun Lee vs Dakota Linger: This ten-round super lightweight clash will likely result in Lee maintaining his spotless record and I would seek out prop bets on him winning via KO or TKO and doing it inside of four rounds. Pick: Brandun Lee (-10000)
- Gary Antonio Russell vs Juan Carlos Payano: Russell steps into the ring this weekend with a spotless professional record. However, I think Payano presents solid underdog value here and I would go with him to win this one via decision/points. Pick: Juan Carlos Payano (+340)