OGDENSBURG — City historian Julie Madlin created a new video about the historic Dillingham House.
Although most residents call 311 Washington St. the Dillingham House, it was actually built for Stanley W. Wilson between 1883 and 1885. It’s a wonderful example of Eclectic Queen Anne style, which was popular from 1880-1900. Note the steeply pitched roofs, front facing gable and two story bay windows, which are hallmarks of the style. It also features a variety of surface textures, including brick, shingles, stone and wood elements. Even though side and front wooden porches have been removed, the property still retains much of its original character.
To view the video, visit bit.ly/2BUWNhQ.
The first owner of the house, Stanley Wilson, had a short and sad life. He was the son of a successful dry goods merchant named James Wilson and his wife Mary. Stanley Wilson joined his father’s business, which was located at 60 and 62 Ford St. in 1889 and took it over after his father’s death. Unfortunately the business foundered and Wilson was forced to sell it. His mother, who resided with him, moved to Syracuse to live with his sister and Wilson left Ogdensburg to work in New York City. Once there he stole a horse and wagon, assaulted a police officer and when arrested was found to be carrying a cast iron blackjack. Friends interceded and he was taken to the State Hospital in Utica where doctors diagnosed him with mental illness. Sadly, Wilson died there at the age of 30.
The next resident of the home was James Ives, proprietor of the Arnold Brewery and his wife Elizabeth Morton. The couple moved there in around 1900. The Brewery was in business from about 1859-1920 and was best known for its India Pale Ale. Mr. Ives died in 1912, but Elizabeth Ives remained in the house until 1948.
Later Dr. John Coe and his wife Nancy Myers purchased the house using it as both a home and office during the 1950s. The next owners of the home were John Howard Brown and his wife Dorothea. Mr. Brown was the manager of Brown’s Dairy. They lived there from about 1957-1975 and while there they extensively remodeled the inside of the house.
The Brown’s sold the house to Charles Edward and Beatrice Parker Dillingham who resided there for many years. Mr. Dillingham was chairman of the board of E. Dillingham Inc., which was a customs house brokerage company and treasurer of Dillingham, Jones and Cissel Insurance Co. After that the Weinburg’s lived in the house. Finally the home was purchased by the Frederic Remington Art Museum and in the 1990s, the Dillingham house and the Parish Mansion were connected by a new wing of the Frederic Remington Art Museum that includes the Albert P. Newell Gallery, the Addie P. Newell Gallery, an interpretive corridor, and climate-controlled collection storage.
Don’t Miss a Story!
Keep up with local government & schools, police & fire news, help wanted ads, upcoming events, obituaries, letters from viewers, news of your friends & neighbors, & much more!
Subscribe today for just $1.44 per week