Seven shows will return to a handful of Las Vegas Strip casinos next month.
MGM Resorts announced Tuesday that it will slowly begin the process of bringing live entertainment back to Las Vegas Boulevard by allowing several performances to come back on Nov. 6, according to the local NBC affiliate.
David Copperfield, Jabbawockeez and Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club will start its shows again at MGM Grand, Carrot Top and Fantasy will return to Luxor, while The Australian Bee Gees and Thunder from Down Under will go back to the Excalibur.
To ensure social distancing, the shows will have a maximum capacity of 250 guests and there will be at least 25 feet between the stage and the first row of seats. A couple of those shows will be moved to a larger theatre to ensure the guidelines are followed.
“After eight months, it’s time to bring entertainment back to the Entertainment Capital of the World,” said MGM Resorts’ President of Entertainment and Sports George Kliavkoff in a statement. “While there is a still a long road in our city’s recovery, the reintroduction of these shows is an important first step.”
Bringing live entertainment back to the Strip should help the struggling Las Vegas gaming market and the overall economy. With the absence of shows and larger midweek conventions, gaming revenues have fallen significantly at the larger casinos that are more dependent on tourism.
In response to the recent decline in tourism, Wynn Resorts halted midweek operations for its Encore Las Vegas property and Planet Hollywood is only operating its hotel Thursday-Monday. The return of more entertainment options could allow these industries to bring jobs back to the economy.
Earlier this month, Wynn Resorts CEO Matt Maddox said that there is technology and testing available right now that would allow for larger gatherings in a bubble-like atmosphere. Those larger gatherings seem to be the key to bringing Las Vegas back to pre-pandemic levels of economic activity.